Search engine optimisation a.k.a. SEO has evolved dramatically within the last decade or so. Once upon a time, it was a minor discipline and a subset of the many skills required by a web designer. But now it has emerged as a big business on its own and encompasses many disciplines such as web designing, marketing, advertising and journalism.
The exponential growth of the internet in the 21st century has opened up many huge commercial opportunities for search engine optimisation experts. The main goal of search engine optimisation is to ensure that your customers find your website before they find your competitors. Most of the time search engine optimisation is being outsourced to specialised SEO companies since it is extremely time consuming and changing with each passing day. Anyone staring out online can make sure that their websites are ranked higher on the search engines by following some relative simple steps that are considered the foundation of a solid search engine optimisation strategy. This article will highlight some of the most important tips in this regard.
1. Choosing your keywords wisely is the foundation of a good search engine optimisation strategy. Don’t select keywords that are too competitive to rank, and don’t try to rank too many keywords with one website. Choose keywords that have low competition but a decent number of searches per month. The Google keyword tool is the best to find these keywords. Also, it is 100% free to use.
2. Ensure you monitor your local marketing results to determine your ROI as with any business.
3. Include your keyword in the domain name (if possible), title tag, image alt tag, meta tag, anchor text and wisely in your site content.
4. The site’s code should be up to date (W3C standards), and include a sitemap.
5. Update your website on a regular basis, especially the content. The best way is to include a blog in your website.
6. You must create a Google Places listing for your business which includes your website URL.
7. Your website should be linked to your Google Plus account and other social media profiles such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest. Be sure to post content on these social profiles too.
8. A YouTube video channel is another essential property for your website. Link to your website through the videos on your YouTube channel. Use the title, description and tags on the YouTube channel to include your targeted keywords.
9. Use article directories to write and submit articles about your chosen niche. Link to your website through the resource box in these article directories.
10. Archive any new content to your website via social bookmarking sites such as Delicious and StumbleUpon.
11. Submit your site to online business directories such as Dmos and other online directories.
12. Update your blog with unique and engaging content at least 2-3 times a week. This is very important to get higher ranking to your website in Google and other search engines.
The above mentioned are some of the most important tips of search engine optimisation to rank your website higher on the search engines.
If you would like to find out more about the benefits of ranking well in engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo contact SEO experts Dartford